Me? A teacher?!

This is the blog of an aspiring English teacher, doing the PGDE at Strathclyde University. It may help keep me sane...

Friday, March 02, 2007

It's the lowest form of wit, don't you know

Never resort to sarcasm, they tell us. It's not big and it's not clever. And yet today, faced with the plea "Please don't give me a punnie, if I get another punnie I'm going to get suspended", the recommended reply - something along the lines of "You had the choice, and you chose to continue to misbehave, and that is why I have given you a punishment exercise" - eluded me. Instead, I heard myself uttering the mature and professional response: "Oh, boo hoo!". It all sounds so reasonable and easy in theory...

This was the dreaded S2s, with whom I was doing a task which should have taken ten minutes at the most. However, I spent approximately 50 out of the 55 minutes trying to get order / make myself heard, so it was a bit of a washout. I am going to ask if I can observe this class in another subject, partly to see what strategies other teachers use, and partly to reassure myself that it's nothing personal (although maybe it is something personal!). All in all, this was probably the worst period I have had in this school. I don't want to be a shouty teacher, but all that "Wait for silence" stuff really doesn't work with a class like that.

Just soothing my ravaged throat with a nice glass of red!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I sympathise, I had some S1s and they were the same. I attempted to do a poem with them and even brought it in set to music, a very haunting ballad entitled "The Highwayman". They made so much noise they could hardly hear it, and those that could said they didnt like it, so I gave up and switched it off, well rather pulled the plug out the back in a dramatic way! In the end I dont believe they ever finished that poem.

7:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home