Me? A teacher?!

This is the blog of an aspiring English teacher, doing the PGDE at Strathclyde University. It may help keep me sane...

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The cold light of day (again)

I was rather despondent last night, thinking thoughts along the lines of "I can't do this! I'm a failure! What made me think I could be a teacher?", but I forced myself this morning to re-read my tutor's comments, and actually, they're not that bad. I think when he went over them yesterday afternoon, all I was focusing on was the bad bits, and any good points washed over me. But there are good points, and when I spoke to my colleagues this morning they were very encouraging. That doesn't change the fact that I still got one Unsatisfactory out of four, but it made me feel better!

The teacher of the vile S2s (as opposed to the slightly-less-vile S2s I had yesterday) has resorted to bribery, telling them that they will get a reward period if they manage to get through the week without any punishment exercises. I have my doubts!

As well as taking account of the differing needs of my pupils, I will also have to learn that teachers have different standards. The teacher of my F/G S4s left me alone with them for the first time today and came back at one point to say she could hear them from the other room. I know they weren't exactly silent, but I wasn't really bothered, and it's difficult to know what is acceptable, as the other - G/C - S4 class I am with is far noisier, and their teacher doesn't seem to mind! I suppose it's all about fitting in with the class teacher this year, and maybe waiting until next year to decide on my own rules and boundaries.

I can't believe this is the second-last week of this placement. It's gone really quickly, but at the same time it does seem a while since I was at Jordanhill, and when we go back I will no longer be able to ignore my looming assignment / English unit task / APD research project / portfolio completion / nervous breakdown...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home