Me? A teacher?!

This is the blog of an aspiring English teacher, doing the PGDE at Strathclyde University. It may help keep me sane...

Saturday, December 09, 2006

4 days and counting...

Much as I have enjoyed my time in school, I am counting the days to Thursday, when I can come home for good. Unfortunately, I have another crit to squeeze in before then, so I can't relax just yet. It's with my hitherto nice S2s, who turned into a class of nutters at the end of this week. Their teacher has been off sick, and some of them decided to take advantage by either going a bit wild or relaxing and not doing any of the exciting creative writing tasks I had spent hours devising, and the result was that I had to send one of them out to cool off. This is the first time I have had to do this, and I amazed myself with my ability to be quite stern and serious! Who would have thought, eh?

The 'highlight' of the week was a trip to the Lyceum in Edinburgh with 90 first years to see Pinocchio, the hero of which was variously described by my colleagues as "the gayest puppet ever" and "a wet simpleton". The whole thing was seriously disturbing.

I am slightly worried by the fact that I seem to be doing less teaching as the weeks have gone on. In fact, the only class I really taught this week was the S2 class, for various reasons (solo talks, essays, NABs...), and I don't think that can be right. I should really be getting as much teaching done as possible while I am still at a nice, middle-class school, as I fear those Glasgow kids in my next placement may tear me apart!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home