Me? A teacher?!

This is the blog of an aspiring English teacher, doing the PGDE at Strathclyde University. It may help keep me sane...

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Crits, killer heels and custard slices

Well, I survived my first crit, although I did not entirely cover myself in glory! I was marked 'satisfactory' in three out of the four headings, but am not yet there in the other one (Teaching and Learning, which sounds to me the most fundamental of the lot...). My objectives were a bit foggy and I tried to cram too much in. I realised my instructions were a bit lacking shortly after the kids had started their task, and I was rather bombarded with questions. Ah well, it's all a learning experience! On the plus side, the little monsters behaved impeccably; I suspect the class teacher had given them a severe warning while I was out of earshot, threatening dire consequences if they stepped out of line. And my tutor noted as areas of strength my rapport and - unbelievably - my 'presence'! Just need to work on the rest now...

But still on the subject of 'presence', I'm finding it a bit difficult to know what to do when faced with a particular 14 year old who is already taller than I am, who tends to get up and wander around a couple of minutes before the bell goes. I'm fairly tall (and invariably wear killer heels in an attempt to make myself taller still) but it's a bit intimidating when they are standing over you, refusing to sit down. And the thing is, this boy probably knows this, as he's fine when he is seated! I suppose it's all about confidence, and they'll exploit any weaknesses if they can.

I am hoping to get some lesson planning done today, so that I can get on with my Portfolio, which is hanging over me like a big hangy-over thing, tomorrow. The other tutor who is visiting me is very big on Portfolios, and I don't think he'll be distracted by a custard slice and a winning smile like my own tutor was this week!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr Alexander said...

Alison, I don't know if you have already tried to get this boy to sit down and he has refused but a bit of advice I received from my girlfriend who is doing her Probationery year has been invaluable. When a pupil is talking and doesn't stop talking when asked, I go over and stand next to them. It will be a VERY BALLSY pupil who keeps talking in that situation. If they do, you could stop talking, explain the consequences of continuing to talk, offer them the choice (very important) and then wait. I haven't come across a situation yet when they haven't shut-up!! You could try that one with the pupil - go and stand next to him but continue your lesson. You then explain the consequences and offer him the choice. Take whatever steps afterwards as required - referral etc.?

It would also be worth getting the class on your side - don't allow the class to leave unless everyone is sitting silently facing the front - I usually find the class are quick to tell the disruptive party to "Shut up and sit doon!".

At 6ft 6inches though (without killer heels), I do find I don't get as intimidated by pupils so let me know if any of these ideas work! Good luck

11:13 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

Thanks, Robbie. This does seem to work with all my classes apart from the third years. In fact, one boy in that class uses me being next to him as an excuse to launch into a series of questions/anecdotes about Glasgow (they are fascinated by the fact that I am from Glasgow and yet am not a ned/drug addict/Buckfast drinker...so much for Glasgow having shaken off its old image!).

2:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home